Red Team testing, or Red Teaming, is the most effective way to stop hackers by testing your company’s ability to prevent, detect and respond to real world targeted attacks.
Red Team Testing in the Real-World
Hacker attacks can teach you a lot about your company’s security vulnerabilities. Unfortunately, by the time an attack happens the damage is already done. For organizations with a mature security program, taking an offensive security approach through ethical hacking helps you avoid loss while gaining useful information about your security vulnerabilities.
Our Red Team can help you go beyond vulnerability scanning and penetration testing to identify how your technical, physical, procedural, security control and incident response capabilities function under real-world conditions.
How Red Team Testing Prevents Hacking and Social Engineering
When it comes to Red Team testing and vulnerability assessment, our Gotham Digital Science (GDS) team will collaborate with you to plan and execute a simulated cyber attack. Our Red Team simulates a no-holds-barred (but benign) attempt by a skilled and determined adversary to gain access to your sensitive information by exploiting any available attack vector, technique or technology. This includes protection against social engineering by testing what is often the softest target–humans. We use customized attack models based upon your requirements to emulate persistent, motivated, and heavily resourced threat actors using advanced real-world tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs).
Our Red Team testing either validates your organization’s strong security posture, or finds its weaknesses. By exercising all aspects of your capabilities, we highlight your cyber vulnerabilities and provide a roadmap to address the closure of any identified gaps over time. Our Red Team testing is customized to your specific industry and requirements, with concrete, actionable findings that address all aspects of the organizational response.
What to Expect from a Red Team Test
Here’s how a Red Team test works. First, our team will emulate skilled attackers in order to attempt to gain access and carry out further actions against critical systems. To do this, we employ a variety of vectors including network and asset compromise, social engineering, phishing, and physical intrusion. Through this complex process, our Red Team will identify vulnerable systems, missing security controls, and potential detection blind spots.
Next, we provide guidance on how to strengthen your current compromised detection controls, incident response management, and breach reporting processes. During each phase of the attack path, the organization is challenged to prevent, detect, or respond to the executed attack pattern:
- Prevent — Controls in place to actively prevent a compromise from occurring.
- Detect — Capabilities to detect a goal-based attacker gaining unauthorized access to targeted critical systems.
- Respond — Incident response processes and procedures implemented given the detection of a corporate intrusion.
Why Choose Us for your Red Team Testing
We don’t just give you a list of security problems, we show you how to fix them. Our Red Team leverages lessons that have been learned the hard way, so you don’t have to.
- We have been the go-to firm for organizations and their law firms in investigating 90% of the highest profile breaches in the last decade. We are either the sole incident responder, or called in to provide validation of work performed by others. This experience combined with our advanced threat intelligence capabilities makes us intimately familiar with how these attacks happen and how they can be stopped.
- We belong to a small group of elites in the cybersecurity space.
- Our GDS Red Team is one of only a few in the world that are accredited with the highly stringent CREST STAR and CBEST certifications and has extensive experience in the planning, staging and delivery of complex Red Team engagements for a sophisticated global client base. Most organizations have implemented security systems and programs to protect their businesses, but how would these capabilities hold up under a real attack?
- We deliver objective, real-world testing and analysis of your security defense and response capabilities. Our Red Team testing reflects the current threats and is state of the art in terms of attack vectors, techniques and technology.
How Red Team Testing can Mitigate your Company’s Cybersecurity Risks
We are experts in Red Team testing, yet we understand that cyber attacks are more than a technology risk, they’re also an enterprise risk. Organizations are in a balancing act between implementing growth strategies and mitigating risk. Our depth of experience across all aspects of cybersecurity – from assessment to response and transfer – enables Stroz Friedberg to help clients make difficult decisions about assessing, mitigating, and transferring risk, while also talking about tolerance for risk.
Understanding Red Team Testing
All of our engagements are customized to address client needs. We develop and use a number of Red Team testing models which are then tailored to your specific requirements. These test range romg a one-off assessment that exhausts the attack path of a successful compromise, to retained Red Team testing in which we launch a set of unannounced attacks over a set period of time, to “Purple Teaming” in which we collaborate with your organization’s internal Blue Team.
One-Off Cybersecurity Assessment
A one-off assessment that exhausts the entire attack path of a successful compromise. This acts as a capture-the-flag (CTF) exercise where specific targets are agreed upon to act as critical resources, systems, or data that an attacker would attempt to gain access to. This model is usually performed from a zero to partial knowledge perspective to legitimize the activities. Focusing on individual components of the kill chain can accelerate the assessment and exercise the resilience capabilities of your organization at each stage of the compromise simulation.
Retained Red Teaming Testing
Our Red Team can act on retainer to launch a certain number of unannounced and targeted campaigns over a set period of time. These campaigns will effectively exercise your organization’s detection capabilities and incident response processes. This model relies on evolving TTPs to repeatedly attack your organization at an unexpected time using emerging and effective methods.
“Purple Team” (Red/Blue Team Integration)
Working closely with members of your organization’s internal Blue Team, stages in the attack path are simulated to assure that the appropriate detective mechanisms are effective. This activity simulates each stage in a goal-based compromise to validate an organization’s security controls. Advanced know-how, toolkits, and methods are shared with your organization as they are used on each stage of the attack path. This model is excellent for determining whether it would be possible to capture an attacker after an initial compromise.