Bill Rosenblatt is a leading consultant on digital media technology and its relation to intellectual property. He has acted as a litigation expert in numerous copyright, patent, and antitrust matters in federal court and before the Copyright Royalty Board. He has testified before the National Academies and Federal Trade Commission, and he has consulted to the U.S. Copyright Office and the European Commission. He has also been a technology strategy consultant on digital media and copyright issues for media companies, technology businesses, and service providers worldwide, ranging from early stage startup companies to Global 500 firms.
Prior to establishing his own consulting practice in 2000, Bill was the Chief Technology Officer of Morningside Ventures, an Internet business incubator at Columbia University, and Fathom.com, an e-learning startup associated with Columbia, London School of Economics, and other institutions. His previous experience also includes stints as an IT executive at two large diversified publishing companies and as a marketing and business development executive at Sun Microsystems.
Bill’s graduate research at the University of Massachusetts focused on programming language and database technologies to support large-scale software engineering. He began his professional career as a software engineer at Motorola.
Bill is a designer of the Digital Object Identifier, a standard intellectual property identifier widely used in publishing and the motion picture industry. He is founder and program chair of the Copyright and Technology conferences. He is also a member of the Book Industry Study Group and the Copyright Society of the USA.
- Copyright and Technology (blog). http://copyrightandtechnology.com.
- Content Security Requirements for Multi-Screen Video Services. Bill Rosenblatt. GiantSteps Media Technology Strategies White Paper, December 2011.
- The New Technologies for Pay TV Content Security. Bill Rosenblatt. GiantSteps Media Technology Strategies White Paper, August 2011.
- “Digital Rights and Digital Television.” Bill Rosenblatt. In Television Goes Digital, edited by Darcy Gerbarg. New York: Springer, 2009.
- Google’s Settlement with the Publishing Industry: Opportunities and Strategies for Publishers. Bill Rosenblatt. GiantSteps Media Technology Strategies White Paper, January 2009.
- “DRM, law and technology: an American perspective.” Bill Rosenblatt. Presented at the First European Workshop on Technological & Security Issues in Digital Rights Management. (EuDiRights ’06), 2006. Published in Online Information Review 31 no. 1 (2007): 73-84.
- “Peer-to-Peer Networking and Digital Rights Management: How Market Tools Can Solve Copyright Problems.” Bill Rosenblatt and Michael A. Einhorn. Policy Analysis 534 (2005): 1-21. Also published in Journal of the Copyright Society of the USA 52 no. 2 (2005): 239-271.
- Digital Rights Management: Business and Technology. Bill Rosenblatt, Bill Trippe, and Stephen Mooney. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 2001.